About the Society of Critical Care Medicine
In 1970, 29 physicians with a major interest in the care of the critically ill met in Los Angeles to form an organization committed to meeting the needs of extremely ill patients. Today, the fruit of their labor -- the Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public benefit corporation) -- continues to grow and support all members of the critical care community.
The Chicago-based Society is the leading organization dedicated to ensuring excellence and consistency in the practice of critical care. From heart attack and stroke, to severe respiratory insufficiency, overwhelming infection, burns and gunshot wounds, the SCCM recognizes the unique needs of the critically ill patient of any age -- infant to adult -- and strives to secure the highest quality care for all patients facing life-threatening conditions.
The Society of Critical Care Medicine is the largest multiprofessional organization dedicated to ensuring excellence and consistency in the practice of critical care. With 15,000 members in more than 100 countries, SCCM is the only organization that represents all professional components of the critical care team.
Benefits of Membership
Free 1-Year Membership
Refer 3 members (if you are a SCCM National Member) or 4 members (if not are NOT a SCCM National Member) to the Texas Chapter within a calendar year and receive a FREE ($45 value) 1-year Texas Chapter membership for yourself! Just have them put your name on the application or email email@example.com. The member with the most referrals will also receive a FREE Texas Chapter Polo.
Please note: every member is only eligible for 1 free membership per year. Resident, fellow,and student referrals not included in this offer.
Become a Texas Chapter Member of SCCM - Membership Flyer
Our annual chapter dues are $45.00 which is a phenomenal bargain for what we provide to you. Some of the benefits of membership include:
- Access to information on our website, including presentation slides from our annual symposium
- Ability to be active in the chapter
- Access to national SCCM involvement
- Critical care resources at your fingertips
- Opportunities to network and spend quality time with other critical care professionals
- Ability to make a difference in the field of critical care in Texas
In addition we need help in further developing the following capabilities:
- Committee Work - We currently have 7 different committees available for active participation (Programs, Research, Communications, Membership, Nominations, Awards, and Annual Symposium Planning). If you are interested in becoming more active in our chapter, please refer to the committees page for the contact information of the chairs of those committees.
- Regional Networking - join our Facebook group for social activities and access to updates regarding our chapter.
- Future Regional Conferences - The SCCM Texas Chapter Board and Committees are developing programs that will bring all chapter members together. These educational events will have current hot topics in critical care medicine for all practitioners. If you are interested in helping, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research Collaboration - We are also exploring the future coordination of regional multi-center studies and other types of collaborative efforts in this direction. If you are interested in this topic, email email@example.com
Become a National Member of SCCM
You can join both the national and your Texas Chapter at the same time by using the link below.
|National Membership Fees:
Join SCCM as a Healthcare Professional, Physician, International Physician, Young Physician or In-Training Member and enjoy many practice-enhancing benefits, including:
- Critical Care Medicine - a free subscription to the #1 critical care subspecialty journal, as well as access to more than 30 years of articles online. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine is also available through a low-cost membership program. Both journals will help improve the care you provide to your patients. The new MySCCM Web site allows you access to full-text articles featured in the journals with a single, unified login.
- Critical Connections — a free subscription to the only newsmagazine focused on critical care. Each bimonthly issue covers practice management issues, information on improving patient care, and the latest trends in technology and clinical matters driving the field of critical care.
- Professional Resources — From practice guidelines and educational programs to an online job bank, SCCM provides unlimited resources to enhance your skills and support your practice of critical care.
- Advocacy Efforts — While you're busy caring for patients, SCCM professionals are caring for you by confronting issues such as workforce shortages and reimbursement at both the state and federal levels. The results of SCCM's united efforts directly impact your practice.
- Chapters and International Affiliates — Membership in your local or regional SCCM Chapter or International Affiliate helps you network within the field of critical care medicine. Educational programs demonstrate how issues of national importance affect you and your colleagues at the local level. Chapter and affiliate memberships also allow SCCM members to become leaders in critical care at the local level.
- Award and Grant Opportunities.
- Opportunities to join SCCM's Creative Communities — Choose from among 50 committees and volunteer your time and talents to help advance SCCM's mission and goals.
- eCommunities — Online eCommunities provide instant opportunities to communicate with committees, sections, chapters and other membership groups.
- Save up to 25% on SCCM educational programs and resources.